Board of County Commissioners
The Sherman County Board of Commissioners sets policy and manages the business affairs of the county, including apportioning and levying taxes, and overseeing the organization and budgeting of all county programs. Called a “County Court” to reflect historical responsibilities of the office, the Chairman of the Board is the County Judge who handles juvenile and probate court matters.
The County Court meets in the Circuit Court Room at the Courthouse to conduct the business of the County on the first and third Wednesdays of each month. All meetings are open to the public.
Sherman County Solar ProjectsSherman County RV Park Project
Residential Solar Program
Sherman County Wants to Help You Install Solar on Your Home!
Sherman County announces a loan program to promote the deployment of solar electric and hot water systems on homes in the County. Modeled after Pendleton’s successful program, the no-interest, short-term loans will be offered at amounts to match what a property owner could receive in current state and federal tax credits and would finance the gap between the last payment to the contractor and when one would receive their tax credits.
Loans would be available for both Pacific Power and Wasco Electric customers and for both solar electric and/ or solar water heating systems.
Payments are due in approximation of when the tax credits would be received: over four years for electric systems and in just one year for water heating systems. To guarantee the repayment of the loans, a security interest would be placed on the home. Only Sherman County property owners are eligible to apply. Loans would have a one-time service fee of $200 which will cover a small loan fee and the cost of a lot book report for the property. Loans will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Loan amounts are set such that the property owner would also need to contribute their own funds for the system. Click here to view a pdf showing a breakdown of the average system costs, tax credits and out-of-pocket expenses.
Questions? Please contact Jessica Metta: 541-296-2266 or Jessica@mcedd.org
Sherman Solar Program, Step by Step:
1. Residents contact a solar contractor of their choosing to request a solar site assessment. This will teach you a lot including how big a system you can get and what different options will cost. Click here for a list of solar contractors within 50 miles of the County.
2. Submit an interest form for the loan program. Download here a solar electric or solar hot water form or fill one out at the County Court's office in the Courthouse. Return forms to Jessica Metta, 515 E 2nd st., The Dalles, OR 97058 or at Jessica@mcedd.org .
3. The County will review your eligibility for the program. Since a security interest will be placed on the property to secure the loan, a lot book report to research any other liens on the property will be considered. The County will also consider whether the property is current on its property taxes.
4. You will be notified if you are eligible for a loan and asked to sign a loan agreement form (either solar electric or solar hot water). You will also sign a contract with your solar contractor. The contractor will then coordinate permits, equipment purchases, the installation schedule and inspections.
5. Your system is installed!
6. Start enjoying your new solar energy!
7. Everyone gets the appropriate signatures needed and the right paperwork for the State and Federal Tax Credits.
Sherman County Court
P.O. Box 365 / 500 Court Street
Moro, OR 97039
(541) 565-3312 - Fax
- Agenda - March 19, 2014
- Minutes - February 5, 2014
- Archive of Minutes
- Division of Responsibilities
- Advisory Boards and Committees
- County Budget
- The Citizen-Reporter February 2014
- Archive of Citizen-Reporter
- Ordinance - Resident Incentive Program
- Safety Committee - Agenda February 13, 2014
- Safety Committee - Minutes January 9, 2014
- Association of Oregon Counties
- League of Oregon Cities
- State of Oregon
- National Association of Counties
- Oregon Blue Book, Sherman County
- Sherman County Quick Facts - 2000 Census Summary
- Northwest Area Foundation >Resources >Indicators >State >County